Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Importance of Family

Words cannot express the importance of family, and I can't say it enough. After being able to see some of my extended family that I don't ever see unless at wedings, funerals and showers, I truley realized how important it is to cherish your family, and the time that you spend with them.

It all goes way back to my family in Greece. My grandmotherand her family were both very distant from eachother. Especially because she married a Greek man (she was masadonian). Then everybody started to move to Canada. My grandfather had come up with his family, and at the same time, his sister came up with hers, and his brother with his. They al began to add more to their families since the move. My grandmother on the other hand never really kept in touch with her family back home. Eventually some of her family had come up to Canada, they could even live down the street from one another and they would never talk! My grandfather still calls his brother and sister in Greece everyday to keep in touch.

As their families grew up and soon started to create their own families (starting with my birth!) they had grown farther apart. My grandfather still met up often with his brother and sister, and even his mother when she moved up to Canada. I guess when I became a toddler none of teh cousins had really seen eachother. For the most part I had just seen my dad's 2 brothers and my grandparents, and from occasion, my great aunt and my great grandmother. As I mentioned earlier, we only really see the extended family on my dad's side at funerals, weddings and showers. It's a shame we don't ever see eachother outside of a church or a reception hall or restaraunt.

Then you look at my mom's side, where we see eachother all the time! She grew up with a group of her first cousins from both sides (two brothers maried to sisters) who were like her brothers, she had 3 sisters. When I was young and they were all in their early 20's they'd get together a couple of times a week to catch up and spend time with eachother. I think that's great! Sure they don't spend much time together nowbecause once they started having babies they had a new priority-understandable. They go on trips together, we go camping together and we always see eachother for big celebrations! But they always pick up the phone and say hello, or email. My dad's side is not like that at all, except for with his immediate family.

Ryan and his family are all extremley close! He's the youngest of 9, with only 1 brother 15 months older than him. He and his sisters call eachother at least once a week, he talks to his parents everyday, adn his brother all the time! He still see's his cousins from time to time, and is always making an effort to see them whenever possible. What is really nice to see though, is that Ryan really makes an effort to be close to all of his nieces and nephews, all 13! The kids love him, and consider him the cool uncle, and I am glad that I can be apart of such a big/close family! All of his nieces and nephews were extremly welcoming to me, and treat me like I've been around for their whole lives, which for some-I haven't.

And a close family is what I strive for! I know that I don't live at home anymore with my mom, dad, brother and sister, but I always try to get out as much as I can. I love my family to death and I would do anything for them! Even with such a big age difference with my sister (11 year difference) and brother (13 year difference), I make it a priority to be the best older sister that I can, and to be as close to them as possible! They were both in my bridal party at my wedding! (Oh my God my brother was the cutest thing on my wedding in his suit!).

It's important to me to be close to them, and to let them know that even thought I'm out on my own with a husband, that they should never be afraid to come over, or call. Heck-my brother calls Ryan all the time to talk! Besides, Ryan is his brother now (haha!). And for Ryan to be so close to them means the world to me. And for being almost 28, he sure can act like a kid sometimes! I'm even glad that he get's along with my family and vise versa. I also want to be there for my little cousins, and be around with them to see them grow up, like I would've if we were closer in age.

So my point of this blog is; stick with your family, their all you got and you need to cherish your time with them! You never know what's around the corner. You don't want to have a distant relationship with your family. You should stay in touch as best you can. Sure people come and go, or change, at least make the effort, and if they don't put the effort in, at least you gave it a try! When my aunt was dying of cancer, my mom went to the hospital every single day to spend time with her, even with young toddlers at home, because she knew that time was limited. My great uncle told me today, "I made a mistake for being so distant with my family for all these years. I should've gone and visited or phoned but I never did. And now that we're all getting up there and everyones passing away, it is my biggest regret." Thos words wil forever stay with me. I don't want that in the future.

Life is short, break tghe rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truley, laugh uncontrollably and never regreat anything that made you smile. Make memories and cherish them! Family is forever,

Brittany xoxoxoxo ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment